International Women's Day

The 1932 Soviet poster dedicated to the 8th of March holiday. The text reads: "8th of March is the day of the rebellion of the working women against the kitchen slavery" and "Down with the oppression and narrow-mindedness of the household work!". Originally in the USSR the holiday had a clear political character, emphasizing the role of the Soviet state in liberation of women from the second-class citizens' position.

International Women's Day is a national holiday in many of the former Soviet Union Countries. It is observed by men giving the women in their lives - mothers, wives, girlfriends, daughters, colleagues, etc., flowers and small gifts. In some countries (such as Romania) it is also observed as an equivalent of Mother's Day, where children also give small presents to their mothers and grandmothers.

This happens to be my third country to live in where I have participated in Women's Day Celebrations. As a Peace Corps Volunteer in Armenia in 2000-2002, I celebrated with my community by doing a one-month project surrounding March 8th International Women's Day and Armenia's April 7th "Beauty and Motherhood." It was an amazing project and fun time.


In Turkmenistan and Ukraine, our male colleagues provided small gifts and flowers to all the females on staff. Yesterday and today when I walked through the streets and shopping center, I noticed many people shopping for gifts and purchasing flowers. I enjoy this holiday and will always consider March 8th as Martee oot, my poor transliteration for March 8th in Armenian.


Our wonderful male colleagues provided all the women with beautiful flowers and scrumptuous refreshments yesterday. Monday is a day off for all of us since March 8th falls on a weekend this year.
Happy Women's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment