An hourly tradition is the appearance of a bugler at the top of St Mary’s Church, in the corner of the square. The bugling stops mid-bar to commemorate the memory of a 13th century watchman who was hit by an arrow in the middle of his bugling – oh dear!
This time Heidi and I rented a flat in Kazimierz, the Jewish Quarter. It was a cute flat with two bedrooms and a nice kitchen. The benefit of renting a flat is that we could cook breakfast, which was always left over Vietnamese food from around the corner. So yummy!
Krakow is a beautiful city. I roamed the streets and neighborhoods admiring the buildings.

Few cities have delightfully surprised me more than Krakow, Poland. I had heard a few people say it was pretty, but pretty doesn't adequately describe Krakow. Delightful is a better word. Yet, it is surrounded by history and sites of horrible events that influenced history. However, that doesn't influence the charm and warmth of the city and the residents are really the greatest.
The last time Heidi and I traveled together I ended up in the hospital in Thailand and later medevaced to America. Fortunately this time around no visits to the hospital or need to see the Embassy Medical Officer but we did have a great time and many laughs.
I am so lucky to have wonderful friends in neighboring countries that are always ready to travel. One friend is in Prague while another is in Warsaw and then my former colleague is in Romania and another in Almaty and Antalya. I am hoping to make it to Moldova soon and visit another couple of friends that work at the International School. The difficult part is finding time to leave country and then there is the rule that "two Americans" must be at Post, which is difficult since right now we only have two Americans.
Few cities have delightfully surprised me more than Krakow, Poland. I had heard a few people say it was pretty, but pretty doesn't adequately describe Krakow. Delightful is a better word. Yet, it is surrounded by history and sites of horrible events that influenced history. However, that doesn't influence the charm and warmth of the city and the residents are really the greatest.
No comments:
Post a Comment