The first heavy snow of the season is floating down from the heavens and covering Ukraine this weekend. Unfortunate for the newest group of PCVs, many of them are stuck (maybe a good thing for them) in Kyiv due to many roads and modes of transportation being closed. It is cold and slick! I spent 2 hours stuck in traffic Thursday night and that was after waiting two hours for a taxi. Normally, I would have walked home but I didn't expect snow and did not pack the proper shoes to walk home in. Friday was no better in regards to traffic problems. Driving from home to Embassy - 45 minutes; Embassy to Office - 45 minutes; Office to Ambassador Tefft's for Christmas party - 1 plus hour. Yuck! I wore the proper winter clothes Friday to walk home but chose the Metro instead. The Ukrainian Metro is the most packed metro I have ever ridden on - A sardine can has nothing on the Metro. Pickpocket Heaven!
No comments:
Post a Comment