My version of winter olympics


While you all are watching the Winter Olympics on television, I feel like I am experiencing my own version daily when I leave my flat. Today, I was on my way out to do some grocery shopping and once I exited my building I felt like someone yelled start or blew the whistle for speed skating. Now use your imagination - the sidewalk in front of my building leading to the main street, which goes down a steep hill to the main area is covered in ice. The area that has been carved out to walk on as a path is very narrow. Once I exited, I noticed I had 4 babushka type women behind me. In America, we think older person might have patience but that is not the case in Ukraine. Patience - I don't think that word is in the dictionary. I was walking fast (I thought) considering that it is pure ice, but I could feel the older women behind me planning there move to swoop around me any moment. It is like the winter olympics when Ono was going for the first position but the Koreans were all in front - I felt that I had to speed up or they were going to knock me down while trying to pass. Luckily, I made it down the hill without falling/crashing into anyone or thing. Everyday is a new Olympic challenge and I feel if I reach it to my destination without falling I deserve the Gold Medal!

No comments:

Post a Comment