Baku

I have been on Tdy in Baku Azerbaijan since April 5th and it has been a great trip!  The Peace Corps staff in Baku are wonderful and it is great to see familiar faces from my last trip and to make new friends with those that have joined the team since my last visit.  When I was here on my last tdy in 2008, I was successful implementing the retirement fund (social insurance replacement plan) that the previous staff were not successful in implementing so the staff really love me for making that happen!  I have had such a great time working with all here and have been spoiled by everyone's hospitality. 





Baku has upgraded quite a bit since my last visit.  The city is gorgeous! Lots of new buildings and upgrades to areas since I was here - Fountain square got a remodel and is beautiful.  The boulevard running next to the Caspian Sea has been updated too.  Lots of work still in progress.  The city seems to be preparing for Eurovision that will be hosted in Baku in May!  Exciting for Azerbaijan!


I was walking down the street and the worker at the kebab stand asked me to take his picture and then to take one with him.  He is Roma vs Azerbaijani.  He was really interesting and nice to talk to.

No comments:

Post a Comment